Sagalassos is 7 kilometers north of Ağlasun District and 1700 meters above sea level on the slopes of Akdağ. Sagalassos is the most important city of Pisidia in the Roman Imperial Period. Most of the buildings in the city belong to the Roman Period. The first detection of Sagalassos was made in 1706 by the French traveler Paul Lucas. Residences at the entrance to the city among the clouds, baths below, lime and metal furnaces, lower agora (bazaar), fountain and odeon, dwellings above, towards the north, theater on the right, neon library, Hellenistic fountain, ceramic production center, upper agora in the center of the city, parliament building, church, heroon, temple and Cladius gate on the upper left.
Sagalassians BC. He is from Pisidia people, a branch of Luwian tribes living in Western and Southern Anatolia at the end of the 3rd millennium. B.C. In 333, Alexander the Great captured this city. Sagalassos came under the rule of Seleucid (Seleucid) and Attalid (Attalos). In 25 BC, Galatia was annexed by King Amyntas, and then Roman Empire by Agustus. Much larger economic growth, which started when Hadrian chose Sagalassos as the official center of the Pisidian imperial cult in the 120s, initiated a century-long development growth. Continuing to develop until the middle of the 6th century, the city M.S. It was destroyed in the great earthquake of 590. M.S. A few small villages remained in the ruins of the city until the Seljuks destroyed the last Byzantine castles in the mid-13th century.
Its most distinctive structure is the magnificent Antonine fountain. The city experienced its best period in terms of economic, political and social, during the reign of Emperor Hadrian (2nd century AD). Sagalassos is perhaps one of the best preserved ancient settlements in Asia Minor since the day it was abandoned. Sagalassos was included in the UNESCO World Heritage Temporary List in 2009. Statues of Emperor Marcus Aurelius and Emperor Hadrian, estimated to be around 5.5 meters long, and other artifacts unearthed in the excavations are exhibited in the Burdur Museum.